Thursday 25 June 2015

Sun, sea and suncream

This weekend has been fabulous. Friday was a great day if not very long and tiring. After originally organising drinks in the piazza with the other tutors, we all crashed out with our host families and I was glad of it. Although 1 hour difference isn't too prominent, it makes a real difference when it's 12 or 1 in the morning. So despite being up late on FaceTime, I woke up early to go to the beach with the family. I had just rolled out of bed as I was asked to put my shoes on. We walked over the courtyard outside to a little bar, where we had coffee and pastries - I felt very Italian. We piled into the car with bags of towels, balls of various sizes, spades, buckets, sun cream, changes of clothes, water and anything else we could pack into the back of the car and we headed off. I'm convoy with the aunt and uncle in one car, we had a few drag races down the motorway and ground to a halt. The motorway was completely stationary for miles (12km, as written on the board). After a bit of fannying about and calling the other car we headed off on a detour. 3 hours later we arrived at the beautiful sands of Massa Carrara. A place that I remember for a previous host mum driving into a mini on the side of mountain. Here we laid in the sun, played a very serious game of volley-ball, swam and launched the children from our shoulders in the sea. Although it was slightly cloudy at first the sun came out and the sea was beautifully warm. We had an amazing sea food lunch under a canopy on the beach with the sound the sea in the background. Numerous tan lines and albums listened to later, at about 7pm, we packed up and clambered back into the car. With the sun still hot on my skin, I laid back in the seat and woke up in the darkness as we were pulling into the drive way. I haven't slept in a car since I was at nursary, I am very comfortable with this family (and was bloody tired). We all sat in a lump on the sofa, had cereals and took turns to shower. I dried and plaited Sofia's hair and fell asleep, phone in head and headphones still in. A truly beautiful family day.
Sunday's been a lovely relax too. I planned lessons sitting in the sun in the garden, just to add to my slowly growing tan and helped prepare lunch. While the parents had a post-lunch sleep I got to watch the F1 (thanks to my boyfriend) and have a chill with the kids. We had another mad bike ride, all in tow, down to the river and the fair. We went on the bumper cars, which was actually just like the Italian's driving in general, and watched the children go green on a kangaroo ride. It's an unbelieve feeling to be accepted so lovingly into a family and feel like you're part of the team. It's indescribable to be welcomed by open arms, to be the one holding the bags, the one riding behind the children making sure everyone is fine, to be brought the nocciola gelato without a second thought. I can't say how much I appreciate the love I've been given by this family. However, I'm still paining from the mixture of cobbled streets and an hour bike ride! We got back home, went on the trampoline, played ping pong and I got an early night ready for the week ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment